Antidisestablishmentarianism

noun.
political position that opposes the withdrawal of state recognition of an established church.

So what makes this such a great word?!?!!?
Two main reasons, the first is the controversy over the fact that people state it as the longest English speaking word. Which, sad to say, is not true. However there is so much reading material on it I think you could exhaust one day. Here's just one page.

Second reason? This word is the culprit for me failing 4th grade spelling one term. Yes. Lame, I know. We got to choose our own spelling words that year, and for some damn reason all the cool kids picked insanely hard words including our friend, antidisestablishmentarianism. I failed test after test, because I couldn't spell it, or for that matter the other hard words I had picked. Finally the teacher had to step in and tell me to choose easier words. However, I'm happy to report that I can spell ANTI-DIS-ESTABLISHMENT-ARIAN-ISM just fine now, and I eventually passed 4th grade spelling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This site has gnarly potential, keep it up!